Tuesday 23 August 2011

Put down the lightsaber already!

   "Daddy, lets watch Star Wars." Words that would make any father proud. Especially coming from a 5 year old girl in a full length gown, wearing a tiara. It wasn't always this awesome in our house. It used to be a numbing haze of nauseating animated jerks. As well as a metric shit load of day-glow molded pink  plastic garbage. I accepted early on that our children wouldn't be playing with GI Joes or He-Men action figures.What I couldn't swallow was having to endure the wispy dummies that they pass off as heroins in those vapid feature films. The Ariels and Cinderellas. Those skinny bitches and their vermin pals, how I hate them. 
The only lessons they ever taught my little lass' was that one day, if you're pretty and dumb enough, a man will come along and take care of you. These were not the kind of virtues I wanted to instill in my girls.
It was a long and uphill battle with my wife. Her argument was always "These were the movies that I watched  growing up and there's nothing wrong with me!"  Every time that little nugget of wisdom was used, it effectively put our conversation to a dead stop. I love sex too much to get into the thick of it with her . I'd have to bide my time. 
One Sunday morning, Spike was running their Star Wars marathon, which of course, I watched all day in my underwear. This is obviously the preferred technique for maximum enjoyment of a TV marathon. I had no idea what was about to happen. I would never have predicted that Phia would climb onto the couch and snuggle up next to me. She had never shown any interest in anything other than a Disney Princess before. "Daddy who is that?" she asked.
"That's Princess Leah, baby." I replied.  That's all it took. 
Now I can't tear her away from the Princess who shoots laser blasters and hatches battle plans with Wookies.  I am so happy she's found a role model that isn't a bimbo. It means a lot to me that she grows up as an empowered young woman, a slave to no man, free to roam the galaxy as a wanted smuggler and degenerate gambler, indebted to  space mobsters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment